⏰ Approximate Reading Time: 3 minutes
I wanted to share with you an awesome natural soap alternative known as African Black Soap, abbreviated simply as “ABS.” I’ve been using ABS for about 2.5 weeks now and I want to share my experience with you. But first, here’s a little background on ABS….
What is ABS?
- ABS is made using traditional West African recipes that have been passed down in families and communities for centuries. It is believed that black soap recipes originated in the country of Ghana. [1,2]
- The typical ingredients of ABS include: shea butter, cocoa pod ash and plantain peels. [1,2]
- People vary what they utilize to make the soap, but most recipes are pretty similar. 
- After the ingredients are collected they are dried in the sun and then compiled and cooked together in a kettle. 
- ABS contains Vitamin E & Vitamin A along with antioxidants.
*The numbers above correspond to my sources where I gathered this information. See the information sources at the end of this post!
What product am I using?
Click to view ⬇️
I purchased mine in a pack of 3 and it came quickly through Amazon!
- Cruelty – Free
- Certified Organic
- Sustainably Produced
- Ethically Traded Ingredients
What are the benefits that I’ve noticed?
My Skin is Firmer:
- My skin has a tighter and more resilient feel to it. It’s not a dry feeling like when your over-wash, but my skin just feels stronger.
My skin is less oily:
- OMG! I cannot get over how much less oily my skin has been. Sebum usually concentrates on my face in my T-zone area (the forehead and nose) and since I started using ABS, my face doesn’t produce too much oil. It’s magical, I’m still reeling from this benefit. Oily skin has driven me nuts for years and this is something that I’ve found that has really been keeping it under control without drying my skin out!
My acne marks are beginning to lighten:
- When I get a pimple, regardless if I touch it or not, I ALWAYS get a small acne scar. I don’t really suffer from acne but when I do get a pimple I know a scar will form later. With ABS, I’ve noticed that they’re beginning to lighten and I couldn’t be happier.
My skin smells really really freaking good
- The ABS I’m using by Nubian Heritage is also infused with papaya and tamarind. When I step out of the shower, I take a whiff of myself and the scent lingers for a while after I shower. I love it because it gives me such a natural and sensual scent.
What are the downsides to this product?
Black Soap Scum
- This was something I’ve noticed after the first few uses as the soap bar began to dwindle. The stains aren’t permanent and they are easily cleanable like regular white soap scum. It’s just that most showers are white and the black scum is more visible on it.
- Can this be solved? NO! But it can be dealt with!
- To rectify this, I’ve just lightly rinsed my shower after each shower or wiped it gently with a wash cloth. Or, you could wait whenever you wash your shower again. After a week, the stains still come off with shower cleaner. This isn’t awful, but it takes you about an extra 15 seconds after each shower to gently wipe the little soap pieces.
Mosquitoes love me!
- Mosquitoes think I smell really really really FREAKING good! I recently went bike riding and they attacked me and my sister! I was left with 13 bites! I came out alive though! Lol.
- Can this be solved? YES!
- Don’t venture into areas where the mosquito population is high unless you’re wearing insect repellent.
- Also, it won’t be bug season forever (depending on where you live of course) but since fall and winter will be around the corner, this wouldn’t be an issue!
Product Review Summary
Overall, I really like this product and for me the benefits definitely outweigh the two cons of this product because they can each be dealt with or rectified! This is the only soap I use to wash my body and face since I’ve started using it and it’s been wonderful!
★★★★☆ (4 out of 5 stars)
✔︎ Yes, I would recommend this product!
Let me know what you think of this product if it’s something you use already. If you’re not using it tell me if you think you would and if you found this review helpful in making your decision!
Information Sources (Click to View):